Charles Taylor Top Security Officer Kills Wife, Commits Suicide

By: Josephus Moses Gray

The Inquirer
Monrovia, Liberia

Distributed by

The Perspective
Atlanta, Georgia

Posted December 17, 2003

A top officer of the Special Security Service(SSS) and one-time aide to former Liberian president, Charles Taylor, has murdered his wife and committed suicide, on 13th December in Monrovia.

Mrs. Patricia Toe-Korvah, 28, was murdered on last Saturday at about 12 midnight by her husband Mr. William Korvah, also known as Bill, on suspicion of having an extramarital affair.

According to family sources, Bill severely brutalized his wife leaving her virtually helpless before ‘spraying’ multiple bullets into her chest. During the murder incident, which occurred at the home of Patricia’s mother on the Smythe Road in Sinkor where the couple also resided.

Patricia was working as Disbursement Officer/Assistant Treasurer at the International Bank, formerly ITC, located in Central Monrovia.

The late Korvahs have been married for 6 years but been loving for over 14 years, and had three kids (a girl and 2 boys). Both were parishioners of the Christ the King Parish in Gaye Town, Old Road.

Patricia was a former president of the Christ the King English Choir. She was a member of the Golden Class of the University of Liberia. She graduated with honors in 1993 from the St. Teresa’s Convent High School, where she served as Captain of the school’s basketball team.

The death of Mrs Korvah is said to be the result of constant misinformation and hearsay by a certain unscrupulous individual. This individual (not named) was said to have been used by Mr. Korvah to monitor and relate the late Patricia’s daily activities, as Bill had become suspicious of his wife.

Family sources say on several occasions, Patricia had suffered brutality at the hand of her husband who had been a very jealous fellow. On one occasion, Patricia reportedly put in for a divorce, but the matter was later resolved when their church intervened.

Speaking to journalists on December 13, family sources said on numerous occasions Bill would apologize for his misbehavior and even promise not to repeat same, something which his loving wife would wholeheartedly accept.
Following the outbreak of the news of the gruesome murder of Patricia, hundreds of friends and relatives thronged their residence to ascertain and verify the authenticity of the report.

Grieving friends and sympathizers were seen weeping, wailing and mourning openly as the corpses of both deceased lay in a pool of their own blood inside their room.

© 2003: This article is copyrighted by The Inquirer newspaper (Monrovia, Liberia) and distributed by The Perspective (Atlanta, Georgia). All rights reserved.